2017 Italian Street Painting Marin
- This event has passed.
Downtown San Rafael
Jun 24, 2017 - Jun 25, 2017
Artwork from over 100 Madonnari (street painters) from the United States, Canada, Mexico and around the globe will fill the streets of downtown San Rafael to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love at the 2017 Italian Street Painting Marin on June 24 & 25. This year’s theme, Summer of Love: An Art and Music Experience will have a psychedelic flair and focuses on the revolutionizing local arts and music scene, and the permanent influence the summer of 1967 had on the culture of the nation. Summer of Love: An Art and Music Experience will take place on 5th and A streets, downtown San Rafael.
The 2017 event will feature both returning and new street painting talent from around the globe to transform the streets of San Rafael into an awe-inspiring quilt of talent, color and local history. Guests will have opportunities to interact with these world-renowned artists during this exceptional performance art event, making the Italian Street Painting Marin experience even more unique. Highlights include:
• World’s largest chalk drawn Peace Sign: A talented team of Madonnari will be creating what may be the world’s largest chalk drawn Peace Sign, filled with astounding Summer of Love era related art.
• Guest appearance by and a special exhibit featuring the work of iconic rock and roll poster artist, Stanley Mouse.
• Groove out to the sounds of the 1960’s from the Main Stage with Saturday and Sunday headline performances by Summer of Love tribute band, Aquarius. The show is colorful, high energy and will have you dancing! Aquarius is a musical time machine that tells the story of the 60’s through unforgettable performances recreating the best and most influential artists… Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Country Joe and the Fish, Jefferson Airplane and many more.
• Also appearing on the Main Stage, a rich and full line up of some of the Bay Area’s best musical groups and artists, who will be laying down a variety of musical styles in addition to paying tribute to the magic of the 60’s music scene.
• Flower Children’s Avenue: this beloved kid focused feature encourages the next generation of artists. Children ages 2-12 can create their own 2’x 2’ street painting masterpiece. Price is $10 and includes a gift box of professional pastels to take home.
• EveryLife Foundation for Rare Diseases’ Rare Artist Gallery features entrant artworks from the Rare Artist Contest, open to those whose lives are touched by rare disease and promotes diversity in the arts. www.rareartist.org